Frequently Asked Questions & Trail Rules:
1. How long is the trail? The entire trail is 34 miles
2. How far is the ride from Whitetop down to Damascus? 17 miles, almost all downhill. The last 3 miles flattens out a bit.
3. Is there water, food and restrooms along the trail? Yes, there is a cafe/restaurant about every 8 miles and restrooms about every 4 miles on the trail.
4. How long does it take to ride the entire 34 miles from Whitetop back to Abingdon? The average time is 5.5 hours. This includes taking time for lunch and taking in all the scenery!
5. How long does it take to ride the 17 miles from Whitetop down to Damascus? 2.5 to 3 hours.
6. What is the surface of the Creeper Trail like? Crushed limestone and cinder left over from the train days. Tiny gravel and hard packed.
7. Is a helmet required on the trail? No, they are not. But we highly recommend them!
8. Can I bring my own bike? Yes, of course. Or you may rent one from us.
9. Is it a strenuous ride? Nope. Even people who haven't ridden in years can do this ride. It's great for anyone, from grandparents to grandkids!
10. What are your store hours? 8AM-5PM Daily
11.. What time do your shuttles leave? 9AM, 10:30AM, 12PM, 1:30PM, & 3PM
12. Do cell phones work on the trail? Not on the upper section. You're in a gorge in the middle of the forest most of the time. They sometimes work on the Damascus to Abingdon section, depending on your carrier.
13. Do you require reservations for shuttle service and/or bike rentals? Reservations are highly recommended to secure space on the day/time you want. Please call us at 276-475-5727 or click on the "contact" page on this website.
16. How much does it cost? Click on the "Rates" page on this website.
*Please help to keep yourself, and other trail users, safe so that we may all enjoy the trail together!
*When passing walkers, SLOW DOWN! Sound mechanical warning, or call out, "PASSING ON YOUR LEFT." Give adequate time for walkers to hear warning. Always yield to horses.
*Keep to the right of the trail. Yield to horses.
*Process at slow pace along the trail. Dismount and lead horses across trestles.
*For safety of all trail users, all dogs must be on leashes.
*Pack it in, pack it out.
*Please place all trash (including apple cores or other food) in a designated receptacle. If a trash receptacle is not convenient, take your trash with you until you find one.
*Although the US Forest Service, the Town of Damascus and the town of Abingdon share ownership of the Virginia Creeper Trail, much of the trail maintenance and cleanup is done by volunteers.
*Please help to keep the trail safe and clean for everyone to enjoy!